Monster Mods Forum
Please log in to make post and check your personal messages. Or register if you are a new user.
Monster Mods Forum
Please log in to make post and check your personal messages. Or register if you are a new user.
Monster Mods Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox 360 Modding Community

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.

Go down 
+2
SR2K
Deary65
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
crimsondynamo329
Modder

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-06-15

WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 10:26 am

I still have one concern about this, what happens if you turn the console back on before the 555 times out? The fans would still be connected to 5V which wouldn't be a problem, but the fan control line would be connected to 5V which could raise the voltage of the whole 5V line couldn't it? Doesn't the fan voltage change while the xbox is running?
Back to top Go down
Deary65
Modder

Xbox Version : Dead
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Maybe have a switch?
What about having the acid in a bowl over a hot pan of water?
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:29 am

Do the two fans ever go different speeds, or are they always fed the same voltage?
As for the timeout issue, a button across the timing resistor leads would momentarily cut the resistance to zero and make the timeout 0 seconds. That would be a cut-off button if you ever wanted to stop the fans while they were being run by the 555.
Back to top Go down
Deary65
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 am

The voltage is the same for both fans.
Maybe you'll have to do some testing about turning the console on and off.
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 6:22 am

Yeah probably, it's just that I only have my one xbox and I don't want to break it...
It seems like at least the PSU would do something if the 5V line was higher than it should be, like when the light turns red if one of the lines is shorted. I'll also test to see what voltage the fans get while the console's doing different things. Probably next weekend, I'm back in school now... Rolling Eyes
It would be pretty easy to wire in the sync button to act as the fan cutoff
Back to top Go down
SR2K
SR2K

Xbox Version : 6 Falcons, 2 Xenons, A Jasper, 2 Opus, 3 Zypher
Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 am

You missing a very simple device, how do you keep current from flowing backwards? How about a..... DIODE!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bakermods.info
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 am

Ok, so a diode would go between the fans and the 5V source to keep the possibly higher voltage on the fan side, away from the 5V line?
Back to top Go down
SR2K
SR2K

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:10 am

Between the fan port and whatever, it might be a good idea to do the same thing for the 5V line just incase
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:20 am

Ok thanks
I just discovered BatchPCB.com, so if this PCB design works I might try a 2-sided board from there with updated components/design
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 am

I don't mean to nag and I'm not even in any hurry, but SR2K do you know when those PCBs will be done?
Back to top Go down
SR2K
SR2K

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 am

The acid bath was neutralized before break, I dont know when were going to be making more up.

I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 am

Ok thanks.
Would you guys be ok with it if I tried to sell a few of these? I'm thinking I can put them together for $15-$20 and you would at least get a big discount if it works out
Back to top Go down
Deary65
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Well, I'd like to build my own as I enjoy that more. Then I'll put them into customer consoles.
I just need to build a PCB (which I'm sure will be fun!) or have instructions on putting it on a prototype board.
Back to top Go down
minimania
New MM user

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 pm

just a word of warning
when using feric chloride be very carefull any spills will stain anything even skin.

iv been making pcb's for years now and have the proper etchant tank and uv lightboxes

Last edited by minimania on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
minimania
New MM user

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

anychance of a look at the pcb files please

just another note for the people that wants to do this at home

get a big plastic biscuit box or margarine tub
put the feric chloride solution mix into the tub
then warm up in microwave for about 30-40seconds
then put your pcb into solution and slowly rock back and forward till the pcb is etched.

Last edited by minimania on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Well the schematic has been updated and the only board layout I set up is for a 2-layer board w/ silkscreen/solder mask. I guess I could send you the schematic
Back to top Go down
minimania
New MM user

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:32 pm

i can make double sided boards too
could u send me the schematic and the layouts to look at please

edit: forgot to ask .... is the layouts etc in eagle ?
i have eagle but normally use proteus (find it easier to use)

i will add a list of sites for u all to read soon on making pcb's at home just checking the ones i have saved are still available.
Back to top Go down
minimania
New MM user

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:24 am

I just got notice that my boards from BatchPCB shipped, so once I get them and build one to test I'll let you know if it worked!
Back to top Go down
SR2K
SR2K

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 am

I finally convinced my DE teacher to reactivate the bath, once midyears are over. After that happens I can take a shot at it.
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 am

I don't think I will need that, unless the boards I get in a few days don't work. But if you want to make some for yourself that's fine too. I will have some spares, and I can send a board and parts to you and Deary for just the materials costs and shipping, no mark-up for you guys Smile
Still so jealous of your school... our only technology teacher is for Computer Science and she knows less Java than I do... she's supposed to be teaching me...
Back to top Go down
crimsondynamo329
Modder

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 am

Well I hope you haven't forgotten about this... I finally got the version 1.1 boards today and it works! Deary and SR2K, I'd be glad to send you each a board with the components (soldered on or not) for just what it all costs me, around $8 plus shipping. It might be expensive to ship to you Deary but if you want I could just mail you a bare board and a parts list and you could order parts yourself?
The board only requires four connections to the motherboard and is about 1 square inch. If either of you are interested, let me know about how long you want the fans on after the console is off and I can see the closest resistor I have to that.
Back to top Go down
SR2K
SR2K

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Great Man, Gald to hear it finally got off the ground.

I'd love to get one if you're willing to send it up here, I'll PM you my info. I've shipped things to Deers before, USPS isnt too bad an a small pacakage like this would probably cost ~$5.

As for the resistor, I think I'll put a pot on there, to give a variable time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.   WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

WANTED: - Supplies for Aftercooler.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3